Starting Your Accommodation Search

We recommend you start your accommodation search about 4-6 weeks before you are ready to move. This will give you time to research your options and inspect a few properties before making any decisions.

Before you start your search it’s good to know what type of accommodation you are looking for to help narrow down your options. You can find out more about your accommodation options to make the decision as easy as possible.

If you are traveling a distance to get to campus, Deakin recommends that you stay in short term accommodation for at least the first week of your arrival to campus. This will allow time for you to personally inspect suitable accommodation options, so there are no surprises when you arrive, and ensure you don’t fall victim to an accommodation scam.

International students can register for the free airport pickup service to help with your arrival in Australia. Before booking this service, you must have your short term accommodation booked, as they will require your destination address on registration.

If you are arriving with your family and looking for a vacant house or unit, be aware that many students have reported it taking at least 4 weeks, and longer in some cases to secure suitable accommodation. Some students choose to arrive at campus, prior to their family’s arrival, secure accommodation and then send for the rest of the family. This is a great way to save money and reduce stress.

You can search for accommodation options using the Houseme database, and we have included some information in the Houseme User Guide(add link) to help get you started.

It is important you are aware of your rights and responsibilities when renting. Even if you have rented before, you may have different rights depending on the type of accommodation you choose. Find out everything you need to know about your rights and responsibilities while renting in Victoria.

To help you find suitable accommodation, you can access our property Open Inspection Lists, where available properties near your campus will have inspection times advertised, so you can easily inspect properties without having to make individual appointment. You can access the Open Inspection Lists via the buttons on the right hand side of the screen, or through the links below.
Geelong Property Inspection List
Burwood Property Inspection List
Warrnambool Property Inspection List

Note: Individual accommodation providers are responsible for advertising and updating their property open details. If a property is not open at the time advertised, please contact the accommodation provider directly.

There is some government support available to student and low income earners that may you financially with your transition to Unversity.

Some of the assistance available includes:

  • Rent Assistance provides financial help if you are paying rent and receiving a Centrelink payment. Eligibility criteria apply.
  • Utility Relief Scheme offers support if due to temporary financial crisis you are unable to pay your utility bills. Open to Australian Residents only, eligibility criteria apply.
  • No interest loans scheme provides loans without fees or interest to low income earners. Loans can generally be used to buy essential household items.
  • You may be able to borrow money through a Bond Loan Scheme if you are on a low income and can't afford to pay the bond for a rental property. Eligibility criteria apply.
  • The Housing Establishment Fund (HEF) may be able to help with financial support if you are homeless or in a housing crisis. Eligibility criteria apply. For advice on HEF call 1800 825 955.
  • MoneyHelp is supported by the Victoria and Australian Governments and offers help if you are struggling with bills, debt and ongoing expenses.